With over one million people taking up sewing within the last year, we’re not surprised at the surge of people jumping on the textiles bandwagon!
It’s both a fun and practical skill to have, and we want to help as many people as possible to develop a passion for textiles.
If you’ve already done any research in this area, you probably already know that Singer is an exceptionally popular brand- and with good reason!
So, you’re probably wondering which is the best Singer sewing machine. If so, you’re in the right place.
Throughout this blog post, we’ll explore why we love this piece of kit!
Full disclaimer. You really can’t go wrong with the Singer brand (no matter what model you get). All of their sewing machines are famous for their user-friendliness and incredible quality.
However, some are better than others, so we want to reveal which one we think is the best Singer sewing machine.
Let’s dive on in.
We Think the Best Singer Sewing Machine Is the 7258
It’s as simple as that.
There are so many reasons why we love this particular make.
For one, this model offers excellent precision, is technically sound, robust, and gives one heck of a performance!
This model boasts hundreds of features and accessories, so we’re confident this machine will help you graduate from a beginner to an expert sewer.
Who Should Use This Model?
We’re confident that the 7258 is the best Singer sewing machine for helping you complete almost any sewing project.
This is because it has over 100 stitch patterns and ten different presser feet. Therefore, you can quickly and simply alter the machine to accommodate whatever you’re working on.
Please find below the types of presser foot included with this machine:
- General purpose foot. This presser foot is usually used to conquer utility stitches
- Zipper foot. The clue is kinda in the title with this one; it’s used to insert zippers.
- Satin stitch foot. Similar to above, there are no awards for guessing you use this presser foot to sew satin stitches.
- Buttonhole foot. You should use this presser foot to sew the one-step buttonhole patterns.
- Overcasting foot. This presser foot is ideal for inserting overcasting stitches to finish off the edge of your seam
- Darning and embroidery foot. You should utilize this if you’re conducting free motion work.
- Gathering foot. This presser foot is perfect for creating shirring by evenly bunching the fabric as you sew.
- Rolled hem foot. This presser foot will roll the fabric under it as you attempt to hide the seam edge.
We love that there are so many stitch styles to choose from.
This is perfect if you like to let your creativity run wild. These stitch patterns include several straight, zigzag and decorative stitches.
So you can rest easy knowing this machine has pre-programmed all your basic utility stitches. On top of these foundation settings, this device also offers quilting stitches and heirloom stitches.
This makes hemming clothes, making clothes, quilting, sewing curtains, fashion sewing, crafting, decorative embroidery, home sewing, etc. so much easier!
Luckily for you, the machine automatically adjusts the stitch measurements for the kind of stitch you’re sewing. However, you can also manually change the size, should you wish.
The LCD screen will help you to both preview and adjust the stitch width and length before setting to work.
Additionally, there are seven fully automatic 1-Step buttonholes to choose from. This feature comes in handy if you’re whipping up a shirt!
These are just a few of the reasons why we think the 7258 is the best Singer sewing machine.
So all in all, if you want to master any of the following sewing styles, then this is the sewing machine for you:
- Freehand embroidery
- Home furnishings
We’re sure you’ve now got a glimpse of why we think this machine is fabulous for beginners. Or, for those at an intermediate level.
Don’t be too overwhelmed by all of these fabulous settings. When you purchase this machine, you’ll get a detailed instruction guide. Before you know it, you’ll know this machine inside out and back to front!
Are There Any Other Benefits?
In short, yes. There are loads of other benefits (We don’t claim that the 7258 is the best Singer sewing machine for nothing!)
For example, this machine has made threading the needle super easy. So much so, you can thread the whole machine from spool to needle’s eye within six seconds!
Plus it has loads of other practical features:
- It’s quiet during use.
- It’s small, so it’s easy to store away (measures at 12 x 7.5 x 14.5)
- It’s light (14.6lbs). You’ll be thankful for this if you’re on the move. Plus, it comes with a built-in carry handle.
- You don’t have to worry about adjusting tension control.
Plus, this model automatically removes the needle from the fabric when you take your foot off the pedal. So, you shouldn’t break the needle should you forget to lift it before removing the material.
Are There Any Downsides to This Machine?
Yes, there are a few drawbacks to this model.
However, in our opinion, it’s nothing that would ever put us off being raging fans of this piece of kit, and it certainly doesn’t change our opinion- we still think
it’s the best Singer sewing machine!
For example, you can’t adjust the pressure of the presser foot. However, it’s automatic, so this isn’t a significant issue (it’s just nice to have the option).
Plus, the maximum stitch width is 5mm. So, if you need a larger stitch- this sewing machine isn’t for you.
We also think this model could benefit from having a lever to lower the feed dogs.
Last but not least- this make doesn’t come with a carry case (this is probably the most frivolous of all our complaints, we’re just a sucker for an accessory).
However, other than that we really can’t fault the 7258.
Back to the Benefits…
Before we conclude this article, we want to highlight all the reasons why we think this is the best Singer sewing machine.
The merits of the 7258 include:
- The Stay Bright LED light- this is perfect if you have to sew in darker conditions. It’ll allow you to see what you’re doing without straining your eyes.
- Automatic bobbin winding. This is said to be jam-proof. All you need to do is drop the bobbin in, and the machine will do the rest of the legwork for you.
- It’s quick- you can sew up to 250 stitches per minute.
- It has an in-built thread cutter.
- This model boasts an electronic autopilot function. This permits the user to sew without a foot pedal, and simply adjust the speed.
- It comes with 13 needle positions and two presser foot heights.
- It has handy built-in storage. This is perfect for keeping your accessories organized and close at hand.
- Included is an instructional DVD that outlines how to make the most out of your machine.
As you can gather this model is jam-packed full of practical benefits. We also love that this device has buttons for the following:
- Auto tie-off tacking stitch
- Automatic reverse
- Auto tie off for straight stitching.
Plus, this machine comes with the below accessories:
- A sewing kit with needles
- Spool caps
- A seam ripper
- A cleaning brush
- A dust cover (you’ll be amazed at how dirty a sewing machine can get without one!)
If that wasn’t enough for you, you’ll be pleased to hear this machine makes it very difficult for you ever to sew an incorrect stitch.
This is because this machine audibly confirms your stitch choice before you set to work!
Plus, the 25-year limited warranty offered by Singer- really speaks for itself. They’re confident their products stand the test of time, and we have no reason to doubt them!
To conclude, if you’re on the hunt for an entry-level sewing machine that provides more for your money than most other models, this is the piece of kit for you.
Did You Enjoy Reading About the Best Singer Sewing Machine?
If you liked this review on the best singer sewing machine, then you’ll love our other product reviews.
Over there you’ll find our opinions on loads of other sewing machines, just like this one. So, you can be confident that you won’t regret the purchase you make!
Alternatively, you might be interested in swotting up on some of the tips and tricks we’ve come to rely upon in the industry. If you’re new to the game, you’ll find this especially beneficial!
So, if you have any questions about this review, or sewing, in general, please feel free to reach out and contact us.
All you need to do is fill out the contact form, and one of our team of professionals will be in touch as soon as they can.